Clerk Voter Information - Voter Registration
Residents may register to vote if they meet the following requirements.
- You must be a U.S. citizen and a Kentucky resident for at least 28 days.
- You must be 18 years of age by the date of the next general election which is held on the first Tuesday following the first Monday in November.
- You are eligible to register and vote in the May primary election if you will be 18 before the general election, but not eligible to vote in Special Elections.
- You cannot be a convicted felon. If you have been convicted of a felony, you must have your civil rights restored before registering.
- You must not have been judged mentally incompetent in a court of law.
- You must not claim the right to vote outside the State of Kentucky.
If you meet the above requirements, you may register to vote by completing a voter registration card in the County Clerk’s Office in person, by mail (call office for assistance) or you may register online.
Each voter must designate a party affiliation in order to register to vote. Party designations accepted in Kentucky are: Democrat, Republican or Other. Since Kentucky conducts closed party primaries, you must be registered as a Democrat or Republican to vote in that party’s primary election. If you are registered as "Other," you are eligible to vote for only nonpartisan offices (judicial, city races, school board) in any primary election. You may vote for any candidate in all general elections.
Note: You may change your political party affiliation at any time after the May Primary but before December 31st to remain eligible to vote in the following primary election.
Additional Service Locations
Other places where cards or forms are available are:
- Armed Forces Recruitment Offices
- Regional Drivers Licensing Offices
- Go Vote KY Website
- High School students may register at school
- KTAP (Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program), Food Stamps, WIC, Medicaid recipients through these agencies
Deadline for Making Changes
Voter registration or changes must be made no later than 28 days prior to each election.
After your registration is processed, you will receive a confirmation card in the mail.